Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Take me out to the ball game




And Away we go!!!!!!!!
We concluded our drafts for the 2010 Baseball season. Once again I am an assistant coach on Travis's team. This will be a special year as it may likely be his last year of competitive baseball. While I don't want to see it go away for him, it may just be the reality. He is a very skilled player with good instincts and a ton of heart. Size wise he just doesn't match up. There are 8th graders at 6 ft and 165 lbs, and they are still growing. They have been working hard and it shows. Unless Travis hits a huge growth spurt in the next 10 months he will be aced out of playing freshman baseball.

I have once again taken the reigns of Tyler's baseball team. I was disappointed when I lost my star player from last year. He was Drafted into the Federal level or "varsity" if you will of the 4th grade teams. As I am a coach Tyler was more or less black listed from making that team. In reality Tyler will get more reps playing down a skill level so it all works out. It was looking pretty dismal as far as replacing the player I lost, but as I went into the draft process I located 4 players I HAD to have. With a bit of planning I dropped some weaker players from my roster and kept only four. This afforded me the first 3 picks and alternating picks after that. I immediately grabbed the top 3 prospects, then pulled in my 4th choice in the next round. When all was said and done, I was able to pick up the players I had dropped from the roster at teh end of the draft. So I increased my talent level, and maintained the good kids I had previously. Looking forward to another successful season.

No comments:

Post a Comment